Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Progress of the Rotary Spark Gap

Procured a synchronous motor made for old Teletype machines so that I can finally build a rotary spark gap. This gap offers superior quenching characteristics and a very repeatable break rate (switch closures) for reliable operation. Also the primary capacitor needs to be increased from a static gap run system when running with a rotary spark gap which will lead to increased spark length from the extra energy storage.

Currently I have the pure tungsten rods (7” long, 5/32” diameter, purchased from McMaster Carr), a bar of Delrin plastic (1” x 1” square by 12” long) that I need to cut to the correct length, and some shaft collars to hold the rod in the Delrin.

I still need to post some pictures and maybe some drawings. I’ll post those soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment